The What’s New Corner!
Dear YAP Users,
Hello and Welcome to our What's New Corner! We have made an effort to make YAP very simple.
While doing so, we will make the following changes to our application in our Mid-September, 2015 update.
- YAP messaging and chat will no longer be offered.
- No more registration or creating accounts.
- YAP videos can now be saved to your device Camera Roll/Gallery and can be shared as MP4 files through your phone’s sharing options.
- No more premium characters for purchase. No more need to use gold coins.
- Users who have previously made a purchase can receive a refund via their Google Wallet (Android) or with an electronic iTunes Store gift card. (IOS)
- The YAP Store will contain over 80 FREE Characters. Premium/Paid characters from previous versions will be discontinued and removed.
If you would like to save existing YAP video messages or images from your chat threads:
YAP messaging services and chat will no longer be offered after Mid-September. But you can save your favorite Characters to “My Characters”, YAP videos to “My Videos” and images to your device for future use. You will still be able to access “My Videos” and “My Characters” in YAP after our Mid-September upgrade.
If you have any characters or videos in your current chat history that you would like to access later on, please follow these steps:
How to retrieve/save images from a Chat session to your device?
Follow these steps:
- From the “Chat Screen” Open any chat session and click on the image you want to save.
Touch “Save Image” to save the image to your device. Repeat these steps for all images that you want to save from other Chat sessions.
How to save your favorite Character Videos from a chat session to “My Videos” in YAP?
Follow these steps:
- Open a Chat session and play the Character video contained in it.
- From the “Message Play Back” screen Touch the “Save” icon to save the video to “My Videos”.
To save the video file to your computer, follow these steps:
- Open a chat session and play the Character video.
- From the “Message Play Back” screen, Touch “Share” and Select the Mail option from the Share screen.
- Send the video URL to your own email address and Play the video.
- Touch “Save Video” on the “Play Video” screen to save the video to your local folder. (On Chrome/most browsers)
What is YAP?
YAP is a cool app that lets you create Character videos to share with friends. See how much fun it can be to create a message in the personality of different Characters. Send your entertaining MP4 video messages to friends and family. Let the fun begin!
What is special/unique about YAP?
YAP allows users to create high quality personal and expressive character messages using a diversity of content/characters. The app requires only a standard camera and microphone on a mobile device to capture an end-user’s facial expressions, head movements, and voice. The proprietary software developed by Intel Labs will seamlessly map the facial data it captures and morphs it onto a 3D character of the user’s choice.
How does YAP Work?
YAP captures your voice and facial gestures using the device camera and microphone, and mimics you through the Character of your choice. You can preview the message, save it to your device, and send it as an MP4 file to your friends and family via SMS, Email or your social networks.
Which Countries and Regions are supported by YAP?
YAP is now available in the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United kingdom
- United States
What Languages does YAP Support?
YAP supports French, Hindi, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish languages in addition to English on Android and iOS.
How to Create a YAP Video?
You can use facial expressions to enhance your message such as smile, frown, raise your eyebrows and move your face. You can also add smiley, angry, frowny, grouchy expressions to your Character video by selecting appropriate emotions for your Character from the “Create Screen”. YAP uses several sensors to appropriately record your message. For best results, make sure that the lighting is good and do not wear hat or glasses.
To create a YAP Video
- Align your face in the view finder in the “Create Screen” with a Character of your choice. If you do not choose a character, the default character (puppy) will appear.
- Touch the “Record” button and talk to your character and use facial expressions to create your message. You can use audio effects to change your voice tone and use the character emoticons at the bottom of the screen to be expressive.
- Touch the “Stop” icon to end recording. Please note that the maximum length of a recording is 15 seconds, but you can stop recording anytime you want.
Note - You can change your Character anytime when creating your Character message.
How to add audio effects to my YAP video?
- Record your video with the Character of your choice.
- Touch the “Audio Effects” icon at the bottom of the “Message Playback” Screen.
- Select High, Low, Robotic, Radio or None with None being the default audio for your message.
- Share your YAP video with your friends or “Save” it to “My Characters” for future use.
How to Change a Character on the Create Screen?
You have two options to select characters to create YAP videos.
- From the “Create Screen”, touch the “My Characters” icon, the Character selection ribbon appears.
- Choose a new Character. Scroll from right to left to view all available Characters.
- Touch to select the Character you wish to use and it will be displayed in the “Create Screen”.
- Record your new Character video.
- You can Playback the message and re-record until you are satisfied with your message, save to your device, or share the Character message from the Create Screen.
- Touch the (drop down arrow) “Characters” icon to display the Characters and select the Character of your choice.
How to save a Character Video?
Create your YAP video and follow these steps to save the video:
- Touch the “Save” icon on the right bottom of your Create Screen. A Save dialog box displays with a required text field.
- Touch the text field and begin typing your caption.
- Touch “Save”. Your Yap video is now saved in “Manage My Videos”
Note- You can also save your YAP videos to your device
by using the “Export Video”
icon on the Share screen
How to Share a YAP video?
YAP videos can now be saved as MP4 files to your device photos/camera roll or Gallery and then shared with friends through the standard sharing options of your device.
To share a YAP video:
- Create a YAP video and Touch “Share” from the Message Playback screen. The share options ribbon displays on the “Share Screen.”
- Choose the desired sharing method i.e. Mail, Messages, or More
- Touch Send. All YAP videos will be sent as MP4 files.
- Touch “Export Video” to Save the videos to your device.
- Delete Message by simply clicking on the “X” from the Create Screen Menu.
Note- For iOS devices, a “Creating Video” dialog box will display briefly before you can send your message through Mail or Messages.
How do I Manage My Characters?
“Manage My Characters” is your comprehensive list of the Characters you have downloaded from the “Characters” tab. You can maintain a gallery of Characters in here to use for creating your YAP videos.
How do I Manage My Videos?
Save your YAP videos in “Manage My Videos” for future use. You will also find a variety of “Preset Videos” to send/share instantly. For each Character video, you will see the Character details, including the message size and the time of your recorded message. You also can playback recordings and edit to re-record message.
To delete your YAP video:
- Touch Edit and select the number of videos you want to delete.
- Touch Delete. Your video will be deleted.
To send a preset video:
- Touch on the preset video of your choice.
- Click Send/Share to send your video.
Accounts and Registration
Do I have to create an account for YAP?
YAP will become a standalone app and will require no registration. You can download the app from Google Play Store or Apple App store and start using it.
I am a previous user of YAP and I have already registered and created an account. What happens to my account now?
After you upgrade to our Mid-September app version, your account and all your personal information, in-app items, and messaging history will be removed from the YAP server.
What happens to my previously downloaded Characters and YAP videos?
All your saved Character videos from your last logged in user account will be available to use with the new version of YAP after you upgrade to that version. At that time all premium Characters will be discontinued and will disappear from the app. (See “Can I get a refund” for more details).
Can I get a refund for my previously purchased gold coins?
Yes, you will receive either a refund to your Google Wallet or an iTunes Gift Card. Please expect an email from us to your registered email account.
Can you please explain the refund process?
An email offering a refund will be sent to all YAP users who have previously purchased gold coins from the YAP Store. Users will be required to respond to the email so that we are able to verify that the user has a registered YAP account and has made a purchase. Once verified, the user will receive a refund depending on method of purchase, either to your Google Wallet or as an iTunes Gift Card.
Please note that you will have 60 days to respond to the email, after which no refunds will be processed.
The YAP Characters (Store)
Welcome to the gallery of YAP Characters! You can meet, greet, and collect your favorite Characters here! Touch a character to know more about its personality. Download a Character and start creating your video or save for future use.
Please note that all “Characters” will be “Free” and no Characters will be available for purchase. If you have downloaded “Free” avatars previously from an earlier version of Pocket Avatars or YAP, you will be able to use them to create videos and send/share with friends.
What happens to my previously downloaded Store Characters and Recordings?
You can continue using your previously downloaded FREE Characters to create YAP videos. Your previously saved Character recordings from the last logged in account will be available for you to use once you upgrade to the new version of YAP.
What happens to the gold coins and the premium avatars that I have purchased earlier?
You will receive either a refund to your Google Wallet or an iTunes Gift Card once you respond to the email that will be sent to your registered account. In addition, premium Characters will be discontinued and will not appear in the App after the upgrade.
How do I Download a Character from the Store?
To download a character from the Store
- Touch "The Store" icon from the Create Screen. Select desired Character from the list. The Character detail screen appears.
- Touch Download. The download indicator displays. When the download completes you will see "Use Now".
- Touch Use Now to begin a new Character Recording.
What do I do if my Characters do not move while recording a video?
When you download the app and go to the “Create Screen” to record your message, a popup message will display asking you to give permission to YAP to access the camera and microphone. Please click on "Allow" in the popup window (iOS only).
If you accidentally clicked on "Don't Allow" or "Deny" here is what you do:
- Go to your device Settings (not YAP settings!).
- Click on Privacy.
- Select Camera and Microphone (separately).
- Select YAP and switch the "Button" to "ON". It will be green.
- Follow these steps separately for camera and microphone.
- The camera and microphone are now enabled for YAP!
- Launch YAP and create your awesome message!
My App is Stuck at Download
Check these things first:
- Make sure that the network connection and signal are strong.
- Clear cache from some of your apps.
If there are apps updating or running in the background, stop them and then proceed with your YAP download.
To stop Apps running in the background (Android)
- Touch on the Play Store icon.
- Touch on the Menu button on the top left corner.
- Touch on My Apps.
- Touch on Stop next to the Updating button. This will stop the app update.
To stop Apps running in the background (iOS)
- Touch on the Settings icon.
- Touch on General.
- Switch off the Background App refresh button and resume your YAP download.
Tip: Switching off apps running in background can also help save your battery life.
To stop Apps from updating (iOS)
- Touch on Settings.
- Touch on iTunes and App Store icon.
- Switch the Updates button to "OFF" position under Automatic Downloads.
Note: You can switch back the Updates button after your application download is complete!
To clear cache (Android)
- Go to device settings and Select "Apps" or "Application manager.
- Touch "Downloaded", "All", or "Running" to display the list of apps.
- Touch an app and Touch "clear cache" and "Clear data".
Characters/Create Screen freezes
Follow these steps to Kill the app and then re-launch it
- Double click on the device “Home Button” to minimize the app.
- Swipe it off the screen to “Kill” the app.
- Re-launch it again. The app should work fine.
Note- For Android, please use the “Multitasking button” next to the device “Home” button to minimize the app OR Hold down the “Volume down” and the “Home” button simultaneously to minimize the app.
If you are still having problems after killing the app, please uninstall the app and re-install it again. The application should work well for you.
How can I uninstall YAP from my device
- Touch and Hold the application icon on the homescreen or the app tray of your device.
- Drag the App to the "Uninstall" icon at the top of your Android device to uninstall/delete it.
- Touch and Hold the application icon on your iOS device.
- Touch “X” to delete/uninstall the app.
Supported Devices and Browsers
YAP is available on ALL Android Devices
YAP is available to download on ALL android devices running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 and above. If you have a device with android 2.3 (Gingerbread) upgradeable to 4.0, you should be able to download and install YAP once you upgrade the OS to ICS 4.0.
YAP uses the devices' front facing camera to create character messages and will provide the best user experience for devices having a front facing camera.
Note: You will not be able to install YAP if your device does not have a camera.
What iOS devices are supported?
We support iPhones 4S and above, iPads, and iPods with iOS version 8.0 and above.